Crown Faculty Resource Guide
Crown College Advising HoursMonday through Friday 9:00 am-noon, 1:00-4:00 pm Crown Admin Building
|Advising Position||Name||Phone Number|
|Academic Adviser||Mike De Smidt||
|Academic Adviser||Anum Qatar||
|Student Judicial Affairs||Behavior Concerns||
|Student Health Outreach & Promotion||SHOP||
|Campus Advocacy, Resources & Education||CARE||
|Crown Writing Center||CWC||hours posted at beginning of quarter|
|Transportation and Parking Services||TAPS||
Core Enrollment Information
"Extra Student" Not On Your Roster:
Immediately have student come to advising office to determine correct core class
Students Who Want To Switch a Section:
Must contact the Crown core manager for permission number IF this is an option
"No Shows" and Absences
Immediately contact the Crown core manager if students do not attend the first class so they can be located and referred to the correct instructor.
Continuing No Shows and Absences:
Contact the Crown core manager immediately if a student is absent for more than two classes/sections. Crown advising will conduct a follow-up check on the student's well-being (or their plans to withdraw from the university).
Fall 2016 Deadline Dates:
|Enrollment Deadline||Deadline Date|
|Change Grading Option||10/12/16|
|Add by Petition Ends||11/2/16|
|Withdraw From a Class||11/2/16|
|Withdraw From the University||11/2/16|
|Winter Quarter Advising Week Begins||10/31/16|
|Winter Quarter Enrollments Begin||11/7/16|
|Online Course Evals Open and Close|
Other Helpful Information for Faculty
Incomplete Grades (I)
- These are given at the instructor's discretion
- The student must meet with you and understand what is required to complete the classwork-including a timeline to submit the completed classwork.
- You must file a Petition for Removal of Incomplete and complete the coursework no later than the last day of the following quarter. The instructor may require an earlier date. (See Removal of an Incomplete Grade Notation)
- The final deadline is the last day of the following quarter to submit the completed work to you (along with the Removal of Incomplete Form, which carries a $10 fee).Failure to remove the Incomplete Notation will result in an F grade.
- When the coursework is completed and you have signed the petition, you will assign a grade for the student and send the petition to the college admin office. The provost signs it, and then sends it to the Registrar. Make sure you have updated the grade in your faculty portal.
- Faculty Grading Chart here:
Behavior and Mental Health Resources
Emotional Issues, Psychological Concerns, Suspected Drug/Alcohol Abuse
Notify Crown advising staff so we can check in with the student (or consult with other staff for appropriate follow up).
Refer student to Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) or Let's Talk Program. Counselors are available for phone consultation with students and faculty. Students can see a counselor without charge;crisis counseling is also available.
For information on assessing students, tips on helpful conversations, and a comprehensive guide on resources, click on "Need Help Now," or review "Responding to Distressed Students" or consult the "Red Folder: Assisting Students in Distress".
Disruptive Behavior, Anger & Aggression:
Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) has excellent resources for dealing with difficult teaching situations.
If the behavior is affecting the student's academics (or you would like a consultation with Crown Advising) please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For information on assessing a student's overall behavior and a comprehensive guide on resources, review the "Red Folder: Assisting Students in Distress and Counseling & Psychological Service's "Responding to Distressed Students".
Privacy: Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and the Classroom:
- Ten things to know about student privacy
- Faculty may not:
post grades or other enrollment information, including students' names.
- Please review the Quick Reference on Privacy of Student Records
- Contact Crown Advising if you have questions about FERPA: (831) 459-2665 or email@example.com
If you suspect a student has been cheating or plagiarized information about the Academic Misconduct process is here.
Academic Difficulty (in Core or suspected elsewhere)
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or refer the student to the Crown Advising Office
Drop-in Writing Tutoring is available through Learning Support Services or the Crown Writing Center (hours are posted every quarter, students will be able to sign up in advance and/or drop in)
*thank you to Lupe Allen for her work compiling these resources