Move Out 2023
Friday, June 16, 2023 at 12 noon all undergraduate residential facilities close.
Note: Students may be asked to move out at an earlier date if all spring quarter finals are completed.
Move-Out and Commencement: Beginning Thursday, June 15, access to and from campus, and parking availability, will be greatly impacted by the visitors arriving to celebrate their graduates. If you are moving out this week, it is recommended that you move prior toThursday, June 15 if at all possible.
Need to stay after the move-out date and time?
Note: Current spring quarter residents who will be staying on campus in summer housing need to submit a late checkout request in order to remain in your current residence until you can move into your summer assignment on Wednesday, June 21.
MicroFridge Rental Return: June 9, 10, & 11 (Friday-Sunday)
Did you rent a MicroFridge? Follow the return instructions to avoid extra charges.
Loading passes and instructions on where to load your vehicle will be provided to you via email. Do not block access to roadways or park in ADA/Medical or other specifically marked spaces. Unattended vehicles in fire lanes will be cited or towed.
Valid parking permits are required in lots or spaces not specifically designated for move-out operations during posted enforcement hours. Please visit Transportation & Parking Services for more information on permit requirements, purchasing permits, and the use of metered parking, pay stations, and the ParkMobile app.
Get a Head Start on Moving
- Begin to organize. Think about what you need for spring (do you need boxes, can you move some items early), what friends might be interested in, what needs to be recycled, or what can be donated.
- Stop purchasing items you use infrequently. Common items in the trash at move out are partially used condiments, cereal, and pasta purchased late in the quarter.
- Remove recyclables early. Recycling bins overflow during move out. Clearing out extra papers and accumulated cans and bottles early can help reduce clutter and leave room for last minute recycling.
- Swap items with friends. Check in with hallmates and other friends and see if anyone is interested in that sweater you haven’t worn since last winter, the books for classes last year, or that extra water bottle. Be creative, talk to your Res Life staff about organizing a local swap event.
- Packing and early moving. Pack items you don’t usually use and, if possible, take some home early (like Memorial Day weekend). Taking items home early means the rest has a better chance of fitting when you move in June.
- Special recycling. Return compost buckets to Housing Facilities. Wood, metal, rigid plastic, and household chemicals can be recycled. Contact ches.ucsc.edu/cruzfix or call 459-2663 for more information.
- Donate what you can. Goodwill partners with us to redistribute used household items. Unopened, non-perishable food donations will be distributed to on-campus food pantries. Look for advertising in May to learn how to donate these items.
- Clean and sort your electronics. Mini-fridges need to be defrosted before you move them – ask your RA/NA where you can do this. Request a pick up of unwanted electronics at ches.ucsc.edu/cruzfix, note if it works or not – to help us in our reuse/recycling process.
- Clean what you can. Vacuum your room before finals. By finals week the vacuum may be broken or missing. Make sure drawers are emptied. Do not repair minor damage. Notify Housing Facilities at ches.ucsc.edu/cruzfix of major damage.
- Take the rest home. Items left are thrown away, adding to the landfill in a process that has led to injuries to staff and student workers.